Saturday, June 1, 2013

An Adventure!

So yesterday was my annual field trip to the local Dairy Queen with my students.  This is a walking field trip and sometimes one really takes a gamble with the weather.  In the last 5 years of doing this field trip, yesterday was our most exciting adventure to date!  The walk is about a mile and a half one way so we spend the afternoon making this trip.  As we left school yesterday the sun was shining, the sky was blue and there was a nice breeze in the air.  The kids had a ball walking and talking with one another as well as me.  A school down the road was having their field day and giant bounce houses were on the front lawn make my kiddos smile in delight as they thought about their upcoming field day next week.  By the time we reached DQ it had become overcast and the wind had picked up.  The kiddos got their ice cream and we sat at a picnic table to eat.  
Then there were a few drips of rain.  As we cleaned up, there was a huge crash of thunder.  My kiddos screamed.  I got them all lined up and we began the track back to school.  The kids were so good, I told them that we were going to be ok, we may get rained on but we will be rained on together and we will be ok.  As we walked back, the local police department pulled up in a large van and began shuttling my class and the other two classes back to school.  The deputy chief saw us walking to DQ and started watching the weather.  He was able to shuttle us all back in 3 trips before it started POURING!!!!!  How awesome is that?!?!?!?!? Of course one of the first things a kiddo said when we got back was "I can't wait to tell my mom the police picked us up!!!"  Oh geeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Depends on why the kiddo said they were picked up....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great memory fory the wee ones. Imagine the positive experience for kids who really don't trust the police!

    ReplyDelete