Saturday, June 22, 2013

And...The Kids Turned Out Okay (Part 1)

Well here I am on a little vacation at mom and dad's.  I have come to realize a few things while here:

1. When all else fails, dad takes care of it.
2. Sometimes when I open my mouth my mom comes out.
3. Sometimes when I open my mouth my dad comes out.
4. The kids turned out okay.

Okay, I realize that I am a grown-up or as I put it ever so eloquently when I am on a roll "I am a grown a** woman!".  I also know that I am extremely capable as that is how my parents raised me, however, there are times when I just need help or more hours in the day (I would gladly work with either!).  About two months ago, DH was fussing that I needed to get an oil change in my car, not once, not twice, but probably more than any "grown a** woman" needs.  I finally looked at him and asked him to take care of it for me.  His response? "If something were to ever happen to me, you need to know how to take care of these things".  I fired back with "I know how to take it to a mechanic plus my dad used to always do this stuff for me".  Next thing I knew my car had an oil change!  DH was kind enough to take it.  Fast forward to now.
Dad drove my car the other day to take Peanut to the local library.  When he got back, he asked me if I was aware of that noise in my car.  I told him I was and I just hadn't had a chance to have it looked at.  Well after a short conversation with DH, mom and dad, it was decided that we would have the car looked at while I was here.  When the mechanic called to explain what was going on with my car he asked for my dad, I told him he could talk to me - hey it was my car right? Dad got on the phone too and did all the talking!  Thank goodness!!!!  I was honestly clueless!  Dad saves the day or as I said earlier, when all else fails, dad takes care of it.

I know that many of you have experienced this, you are in the middle of telling your child to do or do not do something.  It really doesn't matter what it is but you are on a roll and then it happens, the one thing that you swore would NEVER happen, your parent comes out!!!!  AHHHHHH horrors (crap that is a dadism)!!!!!!!!  Until now, I did not realize how many times I open up my mouth and one comes out!!!!  But there are some life lessons that ESSENTIAL, because I said so (crap a momism)!!!!  But as my brother and I often assure my mom and dad - don't worry the kids turned out okay!!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Actually, what crosses your lips is generations of "I told you so's, what ifs, and because I said so." My mom and dad used to utter the same vague euphemisms. Knock you into the middle of next week... Really??? Sheesh!

    In regard to car matters: this 60s "libber" says, you have got to have a man or very knowledgeable female to help, if you really don't get cars. If I had to buy a car on my own, I would rent a guy off the street? Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lotsa truth to BossLady's assessment of the car situation BUT you should be able to take your can in for an oil change by yourself and you should know that Drellishaks will always be there to decipher the noises!

    ReplyDelete